Thursday, February 7, 2008
NEW YORK SHOPS ACCEPTING EUROS ???
NEW YORK (Reuters) - In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.
"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.
The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.
"We didn't realize we would take so much in and there were that many people traveling or having euros to bring in. But some days, you'd be surprised at how many euros you get," Chu said.
"Now we have to get familiar with other currencies and the (British) pound and the Canadian dollars we take," he said.
While shops in many U.S. towns on the Canadian border have long accepted Canadian currency and some stores on the Texas-Mexico border take pesos, the acceptance of foreign money in Manhattan was unheard of until recently.
Not far from Chu's downtown wine emporium, Billy Leroy of Billy's Antiques & Props said the vast numbers of Europeans shopping in the neighborhood got him thinking, "My God, I should take euros in at the store."
Leroy doesn't even bother to exchange them.
"I'm happy if I take in 200 euros, because what I do is keep them," he said. "So when I go back to Paris, I don't have to go through the nightmare of going to an exchange place."
(Reporting by Angela Moore, writing by Bill Berkrot; Editing by Doina Chiacu)
Telementation is a variation of what is often called "The Law of Attraction", where telementation focuses more on feeling reali...
Its a simple plan of creating dependence on government as an entitlement. The dependence becomes centralized control and entitlement becomes...
While others may view the stories about Warren G. Harding's black ancestry as rumor, Marsha Stewart sees it as fact. Mrs. Stewart, a 60-...
To its 117 elderly residents, Wesley Acres is simply a peaceful place to pass their twilight years. Only when viewed from above does it beco...
The first question we need to ask is "Where is all the oil' ? Why Would They Do This ? Massive Social Change and Depopulat...
A recent study from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has zero credibility. It pegged likely taxpayer losses in the Fannie Mae and Fre...
Economics 101- You cannot solve a debt crisis with more debt ! It's like you are with a friend at a casino, your friend loses all hi...
Bigger than 911 in terms of the scope and magnitude of people it will effect! Similar to the past events there is a main stream version - th...
Here's the skinny...The Human body does not require carbohydrates to perform any type of biological functions. The body will convert fat...
Hitler learns a hard lesson about trusting people during the real estate bubble in this awesome spoof !
- ► 2009 (38)
- WHAT PERCENT OF US POPULATION IN JAIL ???
- BUSH DEFENDS HIS CORPORATE MASTERS
- RALPH NADER - CORPORATE CRIMINALS
- RON PAUL - WHAT IS "STAGFLATION" ?
- NOAM CHOMSKY - IRAQ MISSING FROM 2008 ELECTION DEB...
- RALPH NADER MAKES HIS POINTS !
- JOHN MCCAIN - THERE WILL BE BLOOD !!!
- BARAK OBAMA - YOU'VE BEEN HOODWINKED ?
- BARAK OBAMA - LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS ???
- REGIME CHANGE IN CUBA ???
- REGIME CHANGE IN PAKISTAN ???
- US SHOOTS DOWN ROGUE SATELLITE ???
- THE LUCIFER EFFECT
- LARRY MCDONALD " NWO AGENDA " 1983
- LESSONS FROM THE RON PAUL CAMPAIGN
- WHAT ARE SUPER DELEGATES ???
- NEW YORK SHOPS ACCEPTING EUROS ???
- "TAXI TO THE DARKSIDE" TRAILER
- MONTEL WILLIAMS DROPS THE TRUTH BOMB !!!
- NEW YORK CITY SUBWAY ANTI TERRROR TEAM ?
- KEITH OLBERMANN ON FISA & THE BIG BROTHER MACHIN...
- BILL CLINTON ADDRESSES 911 CONSPIRACY CONCERNS ?
- ANN COULTER SUPPORTS HILLARY CLINTON ???
- RON PAUL - WHY ARE WE DEBATING THE WAR ?
- ▼ February (24)