Thursday, September 13, 2007
WALT DISNEY MAGIC ?
Workers at a Chinese factory making Disney toys are overworked, underpaid, exposed to dangerous toxins and forced to live in filthy conditions, a labour rights group said in a report Wednesday.
The study, released on the second anniversary of the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, said factory workers complained they were forced to work 28 days a month and up to 15 hours a day.
Staff at Haowei Toys in southern China also are not allowed to take time off during peak seasons, according to the report released by the Hong Kong-based Students and Scholars against Corporate Misbehaviour (SACOM).
"The conditions at Haowei reflect the failure of the Disney system to monitor and respond effectively to violations of the Disney code of conduct and the workers' rights the code professes to defend," the report said.
About a dozen activists staged a protest outside the theme park, waving a banner that read "No Disney Sweatshop Toys" and urging the US entertainment giant to improve working conditions.
Staff are paid 2.5 yuan (32 US cents) per hour, 62.5 percent of the legal minimum wage of 4.02 yuan, while overtime premiums are also below the minimum required by law, said the report compiled from interviews with 35 employees.
The study charges that managers fine workers five yuan for toilet breaks that exceed five minutes and 10 yuan for refusing to do overtime work.
The report also said workers in the paint spraying and pad printing departments complained that they were sometimes breathing in chemical and paint fumes for hours due to poor ventilation, exposing them to health risks.
The employees are not given insurance against work injuries, nor are they granted pensions, the study said.
The report includes pictures of filthy communal toilets in the staff dormitory, saying pipes are often blocked, causing waste to spill out.
Walt Disney said it takes "claims of unfair labour practices very seriously, and (will) investigate any such allegations thoroughly".
It admitted its own investigation had revealed violations at the Haowei factory, adding that action would be taken to rectify the problem.
"Disney is currently working on a factory remediation plan with the licensee who has placed orders with this factory," it said in a statement.
Hong Kong Disneyland, which opened on September 12, 2005, is struggling to attract visitors. The park would not disclose attendance numbers and would only say it has been given consistently high guest satisfaction ratings.
Telementation is a variation of what is often called "The Law of Attraction", where telementation focuses more on feeling reali...
Its a simple plan of creating dependence on government as an entitlement. The dependence becomes centralized control and entitlement becomes...
While others may view the stories about Warren G. Harding's black ancestry as rumor, Marsha Stewart sees it as fact. Mrs. Stewart, a 60-...
To its 117 elderly residents, Wesley Acres is simply a peaceful place to pass their twilight years. Only when viewed from above does it beco...
The first question we need to ask is "Where is all the oil' ? Why Would They Do This ? Massive Social Change and Depopulat...
A recent study from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has zero credibility. It pegged likely taxpayer losses in the Fannie Mae and Fre...
Economics 101- You cannot solve a debt crisis with more debt ! It's like you are with a friend at a casino, your friend loses all hi...
Bigger than 911 in terms of the scope and magnitude of people it will effect! Similar to the past events there is a main stream version - th...
Here's the skinny...The Human body does not require carbohydrates to perform any type of biological functions. The body will convert fat...
Hitler learns a hard lesson about trusting people during the real estate bubble in this awesome spoof !
- ► 2009 (38)
- ► 2008 (130)
- EDWARD BERNAYS - PUBLIC RELATIONS GURU
- WHAT'S GOING ON IN BURMA / MYANMAR ?
- Our Government's Top-Ten Dubious Accomplishments
- BILL CLINTON - THE OLE BAIT AND SWITCH ???
- BOLIVIAN PRESIDENT - EVO MORALES
- President Ahmadinejad on news magazine 60 Minutes
- BILL O'REILLEY RACIST OR MENTALLY ILL ???
- RUSSERT TRIES TO "TRICK" HILLARY CLINTON
- DAVID SCHUSTER REALITY CHECKS REP BLACKBURN
- GOOGLE EARTH OUTS NAVY SWAZTIKA
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- WHEN BLOGS ARE USED FOR EVIL ! ! !
- MILITARY CONTRCTORS - "GWB JUST BEING GWB"
- THE DOWNSIDE OF PATRIOTISM
- WAS THE "TAZERED COLLEGE KID" A SCAM ???
- BUSH THINKS NELSON MANDELA IS DEAD ???
- RON PAUL BLASTS THE FED ON DROPPING RATES
- DAN RATHER ON LARRY KING LIVE 9-20-2007
- TAZER NATION - COPS GONE WILD ?
- WHAT IS CONCISION ?
- MYSTERY ILLNESS FOLLOWS METEORITE IN PERU
- ANYBODY REMEMBER FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?
- WHAT' S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE ???
- WHAT'S GOING ON WITH RUSSIA ???
- FIDEL CASTRO JOINS 911 TRUTHERS !
- WALT DISNEY MAGIC ?
- ALEX JONES - "END GAME" TRAILER
- GERALDO RIVERA SHOW HIJACKED BY 911 TRUTHERS
- 911 - "FLIGHT 93 INTRIGUE" ???
- RON PAUL FOXNEWS DEBATES 9-5-2007
- "ANTI GAY" GAY REPUBLICAN HYPOCRACY !
- HURRICANE KATRINA HOME VIDEO 8-29-2005
- ▼ September (32)