Sunday, September 16, 2007
WHAT' S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE ???
WASHINGTON (AP) - Several thousand anti-war demonstrators marched through downtown Washington on Saturday, clashing with police at the foot of the Capitol steps where more than 190 protesters were arrested.
The group marched from the White House to the Capitol to demand an end to the Iraq war. Their numbers stretched for blocks along Pennsylvania Avenue, and they held banners and signs and chanted, "What do we want? Troops out. When do we want it? Now."
Army veteran Justin Cliburn, 25, of Lawton, Okla., was among a contingent of Iraq veterans in attendance.
"We're occupying a people who do not want us there," Cliburn said of Iraq. "We're here to show that it isn't just a bunch of old hippies from the 60s who are against this war."
Counterprotesters lined the sidewalks behind metal barricades. There were some heated shouting matches between the two sides.
The arrests came after protesters lay down on the Capitol lawn in what they called a "die in"—with signs on top of their bodies to represent soldiers killed in Iraq. When police took no action, some of the protesters started climbing over a barricade at the foot of the Capitol steps.
Many were arrested without a struggle after they jumped over the waist-high barrier. But some grew angry as police with shields and riot gear attempted to push them back. At least two people were showered with chemical spray. Protesters responded by throwing signs and chanting: "Shame on you."
The number of arrests by Capitol Police on Saturday was much higher than previous anti-war rallies in Washington this year. Five people were arrested at a protest outside the Pentagon in March when they walked onto a bridge that had been closed off to accommodate the demonstration, then refused to leave. And at a rally in January, about 50 demonstrators blocked a street near the Capitol, but they were dispersed without arrests.
The protesters gathered earlier Saturday near the White House in Lafayette Park with signs saying "End the war now" and calling for President Bush's impeachment. The rally was organized by the ANSWER Coalition and other groups.
Organizers estimated that nearly 100,000 people attended the rally and march. That number could not be confirmed; police did not give their own estimate. A permit for the march obtained in advance by the ANSWER Coalition had projected 10,000.
Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan told the crowd is was time to be assertive.
"It's time to lay our bodies on the line and say we've had enough," she said. "It's time to shut this city down."
About 13 blocks away, nearly 1,000 counterprotesters gathered near the Washington Monument, frequently erupting in chants of "U-S-A" and waving American flags.
Retired Air Force Lt. Col. Robert "Buzz" Patterson, speaking from a stage to crowds clad in camouflage, American flag bandanas and Harley Davidson jackets, said he wanted to send three messages.
"Congress, quit playing games with our troops. Terrorists, we will find you and kill you," he said. "And to our troops, we're here for you, and we support you."
Telementation is a variation of what is often called "The Law of Attraction", where telementation focuses more on feeling reali...
Its a simple plan of creating dependence on government as an entitlement. The dependence becomes centralized control and entitlement becomes...
While others may view the stories about Warren G. Harding's black ancestry as rumor, Marsha Stewart sees it as fact. Mrs. Stewart, a 60-...
To its 117 elderly residents, Wesley Acres is simply a peaceful place to pass their twilight years. Only when viewed from above does it beco...
The first question we need to ask is "Where is all the oil' ? Why Would They Do This ? Massive Social Change and Depopulat...
A recent study from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has zero credibility. It pegged likely taxpayer losses in the Fannie Mae and Fre...
Economics 101- You cannot solve a debt crisis with more debt ! It's like you are with a friend at a casino, your friend loses all hi...
Bigger than 911 in terms of the scope and magnitude of people it will effect! Similar to the past events there is a main stream version - th...
Here's the skinny...The Human body does not require carbohydrates to perform any type of biological functions. The body will convert fat...
Hitler learns a hard lesson about trusting people during the real estate bubble in this awesome spoof !
- ► 2009 (38)
- ► 2008 (130)
- EDWARD BERNAYS - PUBLIC RELATIONS GURU
- WHAT'S GOING ON IN BURMA / MYANMAR ?
- Our Government's Top-Ten Dubious Accomplishments
- BILL CLINTON - THE OLE BAIT AND SWITCH ???
- BOLIVIAN PRESIDENT - EVO MORALES
- President Ahmadinejad on news magazine 60 Minutes
- BILL O'REILLEY RACIST OR MENTALLY ILL ???
- RUSSERT TRIES TO "TRICK" HILLARY CLINTON
- DAVID SCHUSTER REALITY CHECKS REP BLACKBURN
- GOOGLE EARTH OUTS NAVY SWAZTIKA
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- WHEN BLOGS ARE USED FOR EVIL ! ! !
- MILITARY CONTRCTORS - "GWB JUST BEING GWB"
- THE DOWNSIDE OF PATRIOTISM
- WAS THE "TAZERED COLLEGE KID" A SCAM ???
- BUSH THINKS NELSON MANDELA IS DEAD ???
- RON PAUL BLASTS THE FED ON DROPPING RATES
- DAN RATHER ON LARRY KING LIVE 9-20-2007
- TAZER NATION - COPS GONE WILD ?
- WHAT IS CONCISION ?
- MYSTERY ILLNESS FOLLOWS METEORITE IN PERU
- ANYBODY REMEMBER FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?
- WHAT' S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE ???
- WHAT'S GOING ON WITH RUSSIA ???
- FIDEL CASTRO JOINS 911 TRUTHERS !
- WALT DISNEY MAGIC ?
- ALEX JONES - "END GAME" TRAILER
- GERALDO RIVERA SHOW HIJACKED BY 911 TRUTHERS
- 911 - "FLIGHT 93 INTRIGUE" ???
- RON PAUL FOXNEWS DEBATES 9-5-2007
- "ANTI GAY" GAY REPUBLICAN HYPOCRACY !
- HURRICANE KATRINA HOME VIDEO 8-29-2005
- ▼ September (32)